You know I love a List.

Well here is my list of things that I think make the perfect basis for an A/W wardrobe. 

I actually put this together for a Hen Do that I did a Style Studio at a couple of weeks ago,when I was asked - what would you have as a basic Capsule Wardrobe?

Which got me thinking (and ignoring my busting at the seams closet...) and yes, I did manage to come up with a Golden List of must haves that for me, would cover every occasion.  The idea was to come up with items that would work extra hard for you - day, night, work and play.  

Clearly it's not an exhaustive list but it's the skeleton around which you can pad out extra flesh, depending on your life style, needs, wants and budget. 

And it's also obviously not going to be my final say on the matter - oh as if. 

But what I find it is good for, is focussing the mind.  Which is needed as we are heading into that dodgy territory of the dregs of the sales.  Dodgy and dangerous (proof if proof is needed can be found further down with pictorial evidence.  It is very easy to get carried away on suddenly must have items which you can't live without.  Except you probably/definitely can/should....)

So by making a list and checking it (twice... ha ha ha - someone told me recently it was 20 weeks or so till Christmas and yes I did nearly a) thump them and b) cry) we can hopefully avoid making the (in my case bi-annual) sales cock ups. 

The great thing about it though is that you can make some cracking sales purchases which you can wear now but will be the basis of a fantastic A/W wardrobe that will hopefully work with some of your existing goodies and you can easily add on to. 

Without further ado, I'm just going to list the items and then talk about each in more detail, how I think they'll actually work on a day to day basis, what to team them with and my pick of the crop that is out there as I type.  

The idea is that you can mix and match most of the items as well - like fashion sudoku so you'll get the maximum use from your purchases.  Colourwise - well we'll come to that as well, but that again does come under personal preference. 

  • Blazer - personally my picks would be black or navy as your main classic
  • Knitwear - this season, a boxy but not too loose crew or v neck jumper
  • Skirt - I'm going A line midi or above the knee
  • Trousers - Cigarette capri is my fave
  • Dress - Shirt or tunic 
  • Shirt - collar or slim fitting for layering purposes 
  • Jeans - the favourite skinny and/or straight leg turned up
  • Coat - watch this space....
  • Tops - plain or print, round or v neck, loose fitting but not oversized
  • Sweatshirt - my favourite new addition to my wardrobe last year
We also have shoes to cover and as a brief overview, my money is on:-
  • Ankle boots mid/low heel
  • Flats - brogues, slipper shoes, loafers, ballet flats - lots of choice
  • Trainers/Skater shoes/those for the young uns.. - the minefield will be explored further
  • Pointed stilettos - oh yes
Doesn't sound like much, does it?  There are also some (obviously loads of!) extra bits to add but I honestly think if you just stuck to the above items with adding nothing else, you would have an outfit for every occasion.  

I've already done some blazers and I've given you the low down on my leather A Line midi skirt and today I'm all about knitwear.  Which is ironic considering we're having a couple of the hottest days of the year but there are some bargains I simply can't ignore. 

Jumpers for me are the necessary top of A/W.  They are perfect for wearing on their own over any sets of bottoms - trousers, either cigarette, wide leg or tapered, jeans of any variety, skirts and even culottes.  They can be layered over a shirt to give a different look and for functional warmth and even over a dress, especially a shirt style number. 

Talking Matches again - oh LORD stop with the bargains.  I'm sort of kicking myself that I didn't get the Helmut Lang jacket with the extra 20% off as it was such a bargain but my Topshop Tuxedo jacket will definitely last another year (she says polishing her halo - for all of about 5 seconds as I remember my little shopping trip yesterday when I went to return a load of stuff I'd impulsively bought.  And moving swiftly on.... They were things on the list though....). 

With an extra 20% off (EXTRA20) till Sunday, frankly these are too good to miss. 







Aggravi Sweater from Weekend by Maxmara was £115 now £57


And in navy also now only £57 pre 20% discount 

Another classic stripe from Maxmara would make the perfect addition to liven up a pair of plain black trousers.  Or add bit of French monochrome class to an old pair of jeans and black ankle boots. 

Prosit Sweater Maxmara Studio was £160 now £80 from Matches pre 20% discount


Not plain and slightly leeching into sweatshirt style territory here but it is knitwear and it does have 20% off the sale price.  And I love it. 

Star sequin-embellished sweater from Markus Lupfer was £312 now £93 

The Box Cardigan can double up as both a cardigan and a jumper and is perfect for those more blessed of bosom as they top buttons can be undone to create the illusion of a V neck.  Whilst the navy is certainly a classic, I love the pink as an addition to a more neutral set of basics. 

Box Cardigan from Me+Em in bubblegum pink was £88 now £44


And in navy again £44 from £88



Pink again at Whistles. 

Mimi Plaited Boxy Jumper was £155 now £45


Or a pale pink V neck at Fenn Wright Manson. Bernadette Jumper £90 now £25

Also from Wishbone - Bella Silk Mix V neck jumper was £70 now £20



A boxy knit jumper from Sandwich which I've had on before but is now an even better bargain. 

Sandwich Boxy Knit Jumper in tender blue was £82 now £24.60


More Monochrome stripe in merino wool from Ganni at Atterley Road was £85 now £47


I've had this one on before but I love it so much and think it would be so so useful in the winter.  Ideal for work over a pencil skirt with or without a shirt underneath but throw over jeans for the weekend.  And we all know I simply adore a stripe. 

Weekend by Maxmara navy stripe jumper was £170 now £85 


Another striped version at Jaeger - I'd ignore the styling below - would be so much better even if the trousers were a capri length.  White shirt underneath?  Silver stilettos instead of black/navy.... Or a different shade of blue.  Even go pink maybe.  

Ottoman Stripe Jumper in ivory and navy was £99 now £60





However my bargain of choice would be the extra fine merino jumpers from Uniqlo.  

Women's V Neck at £19.90 in grey and a whole host of other colours.  Now these aren't in the sale but they do sell out and they don't get any more in so if you want one in a specific colour or size, it's worth buying at the beginning of the season. 

Or my preferred crew neck version again £19.90

I love the pink 

The baby blue 

And for me the black is a necessity 

I also find that for me, the men's version is a better fit, having the appendages of giraffe proportions.  Cheeky arses have put the men's prices up by a fiver this year though.  

Extra fine merino V neck sweater £24.90  A dark shade of royal blue

And the round neck also £24.90, navy would be my choice


So there we have a brief intro to the Jumper situation as I would see it. 

Finishing as promised with my "when good sales go bad" photos.  It seemed like a good idea...... and to be honest, it was quite a good fit and even pretty flattering I'd say.  AND it was £20 odd.  A bargain no?  No actually, because when would I ever ever wear it?  Without feeling like a tool.  And in need of a tool belt.  I looked like Mum Does Handy Manny (and yes, read into that what you will - like the outfit, just wrong on so many levels) 

image image

However I did end up with a couple of absolutely gems which I will bring another day under the relevant heading (really really old stock and one offs that I managed to snaffle, so it's not like anyone else is missing out!) 


Speaking of gems - well I am pretty darn over the moon with my Whistles Lauren skirt. 

Date night on Tuesday with The Husband.  

image 

Black crepe vest top - Zara
Black Lauren leather skirt - Whistles
Tan De Manta clutch - Alexander McQueen
Black and tan sandals - Clarks

And yesterday for the final day before the chaos of holidays ensues, a lovely birthday breakfast for a friend and then returning some shopping bits, coffee with a friend and taking the children out after school. 

image


Leopard print Lucky Maya cocoon dress - Whistles 
White leather slides - River Island 
Black Faridah Hobo bag - Marc by Marc Jacobs


So is everyone else now gearing up for A/W or is there a plethora of summer stuff you're still after?  Anyone else made a list of things they need?  Can't wait to hear what you think I've missed off. 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

6 comentarios:

  1. Ha ha! You do actually look pretty good in the denim boiler suit thing - but then again, you tend to look great in practically anything, you lucky thing! Still, I would expect to see you with a spanner in your hand if you went out wearing it. Very, very handy manny. Albeit a rather stylish one. ;-)

    I practically live in jumpers, come autumn, winter and spring. I'd also recommend John Smedley, which are of a beautiful quality and fit - both their Merino wool and South Sea cotton ones. Best to buy them during sale time, though, due to the prices.

    My most favourite and well-used jumper is a crew-necked mid-grey fine wool one. It seems to go with practically everything.

    Your Lauren skirt is fantastic. I have the similar Whistles faux leather version and a butter soft box pleated above knee length Karen Millen leather one. Love them so much and wear them loads - they've proven to be some of my most useful buys ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you're a sweetie! Seriously it was skin tight (a larger size may have been better, but they had one) And s lovely to hear that someone else loves a leather skirt! John Smedley, gosh I used to wear them all the time from the shop on Brook Street - not even sure if it's still there? Haven't seen the brand for ages actually but yes, great shout xx

      Delete
  2. Oh I so love the idea of a capsule wardobe but I just can't be so minimalistic. I always do it for holiday packing so I wish I could transfer this to everyday life. I must stop shopping! Lynne x

    Ps love you new skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh lord me neither. But I think it's great to have the bare bones of an idea about which you can build round it. x

      Delete
  3. Your new skirt is to die for ... and am very glad you decided against the Handy Manny look. I actually laughed out loud at your photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you love and yes, I was so never going to buy it! Too small for a start!! x

      Delete