Hi ho, hi ho...

...a shopping we shall go.  Apart from the fact I didn't buy anything.  Oh and I'm not a dwarf.  Far from it in fact - one could go so far to say as the polar opposite.  

I went, I saw but I didn't quite conquer anything purchase wise - I bought zero, nada, zilch.  Ok I won't say I have been totally abstemious this month as I did order (from the shop as they'd sold out online) the layering shirt from Me+Em which I absolutely love and am now gutted that I couldn't get the blue one in my size.  Am trying desperately not to eye up the full price black ones - full blog on it coming up and other ideas that aren't quite as expensive hopefully.  And, as I mentioned, I did order the navy and white Pull & Bear jumper from ASOS which was a fiver.

But I still haven't bought anything significant.  (ok so to be fair, abstemious September isn't exactly living up to its name) 

However I did *try*.  I thought I'd go and explore what there is new instore and whether there was anything that caught my eye. 

Turns out, tops were the name of the game.  Probably because I was in one of those moods when I simply couldn't be fagged to attempt to try on trousers or jeans (that does take a lot of effort doesn't it? - desperately trying not to sound every one of my 41 years) 

Plus we're at the stage of the season where there is SO much new, it's sometimes hard to see the wood for the trees.  There are so many colours - which one is going to be right for you - which palette are you going to stick with?  Sometimes it's just easier to revert to something tried and tested.  Something you know will go with things you already have. 

And whilst we're still looking at different trousers and skirts for A/W (I am and I'm dragging you all along with me... Some you may even be able to drag out of the back of the wardrobe if you're not a regular clear out queen..... Oh you may regret it if you are.), tops somehow are those wonderful things that can go with everything. 

Et voila - here is a little selection I found that caught my eye.  Diddly squat in Zara if I'm honest (apart from The Coat and The Sneakers which I can't get out of my head), couldn't see much in Warehouse, Whistles had nothing new or exciting, ditto Next. 

However there were more than a couple I spied in Mango.  These are great if you're looking for just a small treat to liven up last year's (or older, god I have jeans as old as my nearly 10 yr old - the Rock & Republic ones I have on in the pic below and my Marc Jacobs bag is as old as my nearly 8year old) gems.

I am still loving a sweatshirt.  In fact I can foresee my uniform again this Autumn as per the Spring being jeans, oversized or smartish coat, shirt or collar and a sweatshirt.  Or a jumper - I am in BIG need of new plain jumpers.  

Cowl Neck Sweatshirt £29.99  I love the idea of this with a smart coat - classic grey and navy, I adore these colours together.  They sort of look smart.  Even though it's only a sweatshirt.  That made sense in my head.




Untitled

However top marks from me has to go to this one with the large M on it.  Much thicker than the above top (for those chilly souls amongst you) and I have to say I just prefer it full stop.  In fact I love it.  Yes, the letter M has a significance for me (I just have to find a way to persuade the other two children it's not all about the one of them... oops) so it doesn't necessarily stand for Mango in my book.  Regardless of that, I love the raised boucle style of the M - the slouch of the sweat fabric and the whole shape of it.  A great buy for less than £25 compared to many of the sweatshirts I've seen around and own (Whistles and JCrew I'm not looking at you.  At all.....) 



I'm in a European Large - US Med.



I know I did vaguely mention Rugby and my new potential obsession with it (this is obsession with a little o....) but this colourway happens to be the club colours.  In that case it might be rude not to.......




If I didn't already have a white one.. I may be getting carried away with these but I just love the boucle M (I may also need to put the wine down.... Really?  a boucle M?) 




Speaking of getting carried away, I did maybe let the sunshine of the last couple of days go to my head and hello Indian Summer.... Still loving a bit of Boho.  This is a lovely thick cheesecloth - I'm trying it in the European Large - US M.




Untitled

Another jumper which I had spied online and tried on the other week but have had no opportunity to throw it on a blog was this simple but rather perfect jumper also from Mango.  I'm in a European L here. (US M)




Untitled




Another jumper which in fact a friend of mine had seen in a magazine and said she loved but we couldn't see the other week was this one, which I tried on for her in the interests of research.  And I have to say I was a little more than impressed....

Embossed Polka-dot Sweater from Mango £34.99  They also do this in black and a white but my favourite was definitely the grey.  This is again a European Large. US Small.


And on me - this is a large and so on normal people it would be much slouchier as above. (I also do have my shirt on underneath.. lazy? moi?)

Untitled

The last thing I saw that I thought hmmm yes, I quite like that, was from H&M.  I'll be totally honest with you, there was zero else in there I even vaguely contemplated.  But I did go on a busy day into an exceptionally busy store where alas, after a couple of hours things do start to look slightly dishevelled.  And I was hungry and tired by then (oh I know, diddums)

This picture however doesn't remotely do this top justice - simply gorgeous and it honestly wouldn't be out of place in JCrew for five times the price.  You can't see the raised detailing but it is quite exquisite.  Actually now I'm kicking myself for not buying it. GAH.  This would look fab with my leather midi skirt.. I am a tool. 




So how are you doing on the tops front?  It's an easy fix for a slightly tired wardrobe, it really is.  And you needn't break the bank doing it.  (save that for boots and bags.... oh do I have some gems up my sleeve.) 

Here I am from Sunday actually - at the aforementioned Rugby. 

Untitled

Oui Mon Cheri sweatshirt - JCrew
Scarf - Hush
Jeans turned up - Rock & Republic
Stone leather sneakers - Gap

And then from the other day when it was getting warm. 

Untitled

Silk print blouse - Zara
Saxby jeans - ASOS
Leather sliders - Zara
Black Faridah hobo bag - Marc by Marc Jacobs

And yesterday, oh hello Indian Summer.

Untitled


Leopard print Lucky Maya dress - Whistles
Black Tuxedo crepe blazer - Topshop
White sliders - River Island 
Black Diego bag - Alexander Wang
Hair courtesy of the 9yr old again

Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary - The Husband is working from home so hopefully we'll get to go out for lunch.  Big day out planned for shortly - didn't quite work tomorrow (first day back at swimming and tennis.  Oh the joy)  However, lunch will be very welcome, fingers crossed it's warm enough to don a skirt! 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

24 comentarios:

  1. I like the embossed H&M sweater, I saw it in the store when running past with a fractious toddler today! I've got a couple like this from Needle and Thread in the sale that I'm looking forward to wearing. Otherwise I'm mostly looking for longline tshirts with little luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous, it's so so gorgeous. I have it earmarked next week to check out in more detail. I think it would be perfect for those casual nights out with friends over jeans or so so easy to dress up with heels for a dinner party. I am KICKING myself for not getting it - I love that neckline as well. x

      Delete
  2. That dress is gorgeous, love it! I tried on a black tuxedo coat in New Look, of all places - I didn't get it, am now kicking myself & will have to schlep back to town tomorrow to get it!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had that jacket for 5 years and it's ACE. It was a total bargain from Topshop and has served me so so well over the years. It's so hard to find a black jacket that doesn't look you're missing half a suit!

      Delete
  3. Crikey, cant believe you went to H&M and didn't see the gorgeous wool blend blazers? Quite similar to the Boden checked one you featured but only £35 (I snagged 25% off too - real deal). Yes you should have bought the embellished top though - perfect with your skirt.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, our H&M is really not the best. I have never seen one so packed full of stuff. And alas, all I saw was a LOT of nylon..... and polyester... there were deffo no wool blazers! I have high hopes for the top. x

      Delete
  4. I love that H&M top & can't believe you didn't buy it Kat! Happy Anniversary to you both! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary … and that "M" must surely be for Mother?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was rushing past H and M on my way to Boots when I spied the top. I put it to the back of my mind as I had to get back for pick up from hockey practice. But now you've reminded me I'm going to have to give it another look. By the way I also have a leather midi skirt and I find it really difficult to team with a top. Any pointers gratefully received on the basis that by the time I get to H and M it'll be sold out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the midi skirt is hard - is yours A Line? I've found the best things that work are very fitted tops. Or something that goes in at the waist so a jumper with a nipped in waist band. I will be exploring in more detail, fear not. Is yours A line or full?

      Delete
    2. Mine is an A line. Couldn't do full. Wish I could. I love the skirt and will wear it with my open toe shoe boots or pointy flats I saw a magazine paired one with a leopard sort of luxe t shirt. Then I realised it was Jil Sander. Say no more. There's a pale blue Whistles top that looks cropped that I spied in good old John Lewis but the size 6 that was left was too snug so I need to order it in my size

      Delete
  7. Oooh loving the Mango dotty grey one! And pretty please, I know you are a fashion blogger primarily, but would you consider doing a post on your recent house renovations - love the look of your grey kitchen cabinets and flooring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - well - I have been asked this a couple of times so I *may* start another page on the blog with a couple of bits - we'll see....

      Delete
  8. Great ideas from Mango....think a spot of internet ordering over a glass of wine will definitely be in order tonight ! I have been toying for last couple of weeks over the Me&em shirt and their gorgeous jumpers ... do you know if there are any discount codes floating around for them (I so loathe not snagging a bit of a price reduction !)....happy anniversary !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I don't know of any Me+Em discount codes - although actually, if you go onto their website does it not come up with one if you order from them for the first time?

      Delete
    2. I hadn't gone further than putting huge selections into the basket so i'll order today and fingers crossed, thanks x

      Delete
  9. I have come to the conclusion, after years of sons playing rugby, that the ultimate item for watching Rugby in is the Jack Murphy Malvern coat. Light but big enough to put stuff under. I m afraid that my days of trying to look stylish on the touch line are long gone. Dry and warm are the only priorities now especially as it is always noticed if I try to 'nip' to the club house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, no my main priorities for sure will be keeping warm and dry. We actually had the discussion of sailing oilies last week!! I will be exploring in more detail thought as, I know as much as I say this, when push comes to flexing the credit card, I will not be able to buy something I don't love! There MUST be a stylish, waterproof, warm option out there... (She says optimistically....)

      Delete
  10. I love sweatshirts for comfort but hard to look good. Love the Mango dotty one though. Like Honor would love to see a post on the house too although love the fashion updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I think sweatshirts can look great. Granted, you're never going to win a prize for elegance but I think they can look quite good dressed down. And, we'll see about the interiors - maybe a separate page for a while. xx

      Delete
  11. Loving the M jumper from Mango. I think the navy one has to be my fave. I would probably say jumpers are my clothing obsession (I have about 3 boxes worth under the bed alone) so enjoyed this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh WOW you beat me hands down and then some. I definitely feel the need to shop now....!

      Delete