So a print The Husband does like.

For him, it has to be a check.  He doesn't mind stripes but a check gets a big thumbs up from him.

However it has to be a specific check - not your every day tartan, oh no, we are very specific about that - it's all about the Windowpane check. 

Which I have to say has grown on me more and more.  It also makes me KICK myself for the one thing last A/W that I wish I'd bought but didn't - a pair of navy and red windowpane check trousers from Zara.  I keep trying to remember why I didn't and I do seem to recall that it wasn't because I was being abstemious - although I like to think it was that.  Alas no, if my memory serves me correctly, it was because a) I was between sizes - small was too small and medium was too big and b) they were such a dark navy verging on black that they essentially just confused me.  Don't get me wrong, I love navy and black together.  But I get a bit twitchy when I can't tell whether something is navy or black.  That's just irritating.  Colour, know thy place. 

To be fair though, we are talking semantics here as I am having a real check moment.  And I am ridiculously chuffed that I did manage to snag the check Zara coat in the sale and also the navy Hobbs coat in the sale this season too.

But oh my lord there is so much check loveliness out there.  And are a couple of things that I have spied this season that have confirmed my love for all things check.  And no sorry, dear Husband, they're not all windowpane.  I'm not even sure I know what the parameters for that description are and I'm positive I don't care.  Check is check is check.  So long as we're not full on Highland Fling, it works in my book.  I was going to say actually, that I don't do tartan but I guess my Zara check coat which I bought last year is more of a nod to tartan than windowpane...? 

You see now I'm getting check confused which wasn't the aim of the game.  I'm going with, who cares so long as you like the print and the colour works for you.  Check mate?

This has to be top of my lust but can't justify list.  Lord I just adore this. 

Blanket Cardigan £149 from Plumo  Now you see they say cardigan..... I don't have a cardigan..... I have coats.  But this is knitwear so that is totally different, isn't it?  Totally.... 


I want to cry it's so gorgeous 



And then there is this from Whistles which isn't instore yet and I can't possibly indulge as frankly it will just be too expensive for such a distinctive coat in my book.  Plus there are only so many check coats one own (apparently.  Though really??) 

Hoshi Printed Coat from Whistles - no link as you can't buy it yet.  You can salivate and dream that it's going to cost £40. Maybe.  And maybe not.




Inspiration also came from this jumper which I saw in one of the Sunday magazines - need to check it out in the flesh in Primark. 

image


Speaking of navy and red, nothing similar to my longed for lost trews at Zara but fab options at Mango. 

Love this whole look.  Will I go for it?  Not sure I will as, to be honest, I seem to be heading for a more casual look this year (maybe I've finally realised that the occasions on which I need to look smart are once a month.  If that...) But I adore it and would be more likely to team the top with jeans and a navy blazer or coat.  Or even black coat, black boots.   Do still love a bit of black and navy together. 





And the shorts at also £29.99  Now I'm not going to lie - these aren't for me but I do love them on someone shorter or younger?!


They also do a shirt version in a slightly different fabric which I tried on last week.  Adore the tiny puffed detail on the shoulder.  A hint of feminine in a rather masculine sea of clothes.  Love it. 



image

Check blazer from River Island £55 - I appreciate this is verging on tartan.... moving swiftly on. 



There are trousers that go with it as you can see above - would I wear them as a suit?  Err no, but on their own with a black jumper, black ballet flats/loafers or stilettos and a black oversized coat, hell yes.  Actually this would be my preference to a jacket (she says reminiscing once again about the Zara ones that got away.  I should do a blog on that - things that got away.  Sob) 

River Island Navy Check Cigarette pants £40




Upping the budget, By Malene Birger do a stunning range in grey and white.  Oh and black and white too. 

Venusta Cardigan £199


Also love it in the black 



And back to some more purse friendly treat items - my new found love - oh yes dresses.  Just a few as I have found OODLES - they are so like blasted buses but these would be the ideal to take you from work to play. 

River Island Check Dress was £32 now £19


Phase Eight Caley dress in black and ivory check £79  -  nothing more flattering round the waist than ruching as I've mentioned a gazillion times.  Shows off curves to their full and gives you curves if you don't have any. 



Now the thing we must not broadcast as The Husband has ears, I actually think it might be quite nice teamed with leopard print... ha ha.  Oh ha ha.  That would send him rocking in a corner, frothing at the mouth.  Oh how we laughed.  Cruelty to animals, that's what it is.  Snort (actually can I please just mention that he is actually rather sartorial, truth be told) 


Honestly I could keep going with reams more check loveliness  but I've promised the 7yr old I'll watch the end of National Treasure with him.  I also need to explain to him what the Declaration of Independence is.  For which I need a glass of wine......

So are you checking it this season?  Which print has taken your fancy or are you going plain plain and more plain.  Would love to know what your plans are this A/W.

Finishing with outfits from yesterday and today.

Super casual on Monday. 

image

White linen tee - Max Studio 
Jewelled arm sweatshirt - Zara
Grey cargo pants - Hush
Steel Virgos - Ash
Black Diego bag - Alexander Wang 

And slightly smarter today - lunch with girlfriends. (and piano, dance lessons and two lots of footie after school.  Gotta love Tuesdays)


image


Too much Love will kill you tee - Zoe Karssen
Pink blazer - Zara
Triple zip jeans - Mint Velvet
Grey bag - Whistles
Black ponyskin skater shoes - Next 
Dutch braid - yet again my hair obsessed 9yr old

And tomorrow - well who knows.  I have ideas a plenty but I will admit that I am rather footwear obsessed.  *Rather* being an understatement.  Do you have a current obsession?  

Share this:

CONVERSATION

24 comentarios:

  1. Fabulous- love that braid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checks tend to wear me vs. the other way round but I love the Whistles coat,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous isn't it but even I think you'd have to have a super plain normcore style wardrobe underneath it. And it will be heinously expensive so that puts pay to that for me!

      Delete
  3. Ooh lots of checked loveliness... I too have been eyeing up that plumo coat (the whistles one is gorgeous, as are the by malene birger ones).

    I so don't need any more coats! Maybe a checked scarf? (I really don't need any scarfs either...)

    tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm they did have some nice checked scarves in Zara but I can't past that Plumo one. And it's a really good price from Plumo too. Darn them. x

      Delete
  4. Kat, have a look at www.orangebag.nl, at the rather fantastic check and leotardprint scarf from Custom Made....expensive but gorgious and a brilliant way to combine two loves.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leopardprint off course! It's so damned hard to write english with a Dutch spellingcheck....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha - I even read it as leopard print and had to go back to see what you meant!

      Delete
  6. Strangely I was just last night leafing through one of the zillion catalogues Boden send me and they had a tartan top and skinny trousers that were very fetching, thought that they would make a great (whisper) Xmas day outfit with high shoes, funkier and more original than my usual smart dress thought I! Definately feeling the check vibe and still love the plumo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't mention the C word... I feel rather sick at the thought! Dare I say I don't think i need a new dress?!!

      Delete
  7. You are brilliant at 'super-casual' dressing.. my fav looks after your 'going out' looks. Keep up the great work :-) Audrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you thank you - such a lovely thing to read. *blush* xx

      Delete
  8. Check this out Kat; https://www.crumpetcashmere.com/product/redcartoon-check-monster-cashmere-cardigan/
    Am trying to justify it, guess I don't own a coatigan....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my lord that is so so so beautiful. And it even makes the plumo one look more of a bargain. DARN YOU!!

      Delete
  9. love the hair, can you do that yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my lord no, my 9yr old does it for me! I think she can do it on herself though - she's way more talented in that dept than I am. I can't even do a normal french plait on her. I was so designed to have boys!

      Delete
  10. Your footwear obsession is catching! I bought a pair of black suede ankle boots from Office at the weekend and tried to persuade myself they were identical to the Ash Jalouse boot, they're just not. So they're going back and I'm splashing the cash on the genuine article. Here's my problem, I can't find them in Edinburgh and really want to try before I buy. Your advice I'm after is; being a 6.5 in Clarks, should I order a 6 or 7?!? Any advice gratefully received (oh and I'd be eternally grateful if anyone had a discount code too), thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go for a 39 - which mine are. And I'm a 6.5 in Clarks - I think that is a 6??? The 7 was too big. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kat, I managed to track them down in Harvey Nics, shot up town this evening and am now looking lovingly at my (size 40) new boots. Happy happy happy!

      Delete
  11. Checks just look wrong on me, too harsh. Love them on others though! You look fab as always. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Mango blouse Kat & the sleeves really do make it! It took me years to embrace leopard print so ask me again in 2016 about checks! Ax

    ReplyDelete