Envy = panic

Envy of the dress variety.

This pretty much again happens every time of the year - I see dresses that I've seen in store and thought - nah - on another person and suddenly think OH MY LORD I NEED THAT DRESS. 

Of course the reality of it is that I don't and the reason I bypassed it originally was, on second inspection (it's amazing how quickly I can google a dress when I need to), valid.  What looks great on another person doesn't necessarily work on me. 

The first dress I saw was on an amazing lady I met on Saturday when I had the absolute pleasure of judging the Young Fashion Designer Of the Year for the South.  I was incredibly honoured to be asked and it was honesty the most fun I've had in ages.  The standard of talent at GCSE, AS and A Level was more impressive than I would ever have expected.  I felt just like a giant version of May Martin.  Especially as I was accompanied by the winner from last year - George Chaffey who made a fantastic young Patrick Grant. (skip that last bit of you don't watch The Great British Sewing Bee although if you don't you should as I think it's actually better than the Bake Off one.  Compulsive viewing!)

So the dress in question was worn by one of the other judges and it was another & Other Stories one.  This one, which is now sold out.  It actually looked a lot better on her than it does on the model here.  She was much more petite and it was a much better length on her.  So actually on me, it would have looked pants.  PHEW.  However is that going to stop me charging up to London this week "to see"??


The other dress was last night at a party for a friend's birthday when another friend was wearing the most stunning maxi dress (khaki with a print on..... sleeveless, tie at the neck) which I haven't in fact seen before.  From M&S.  Now I clearly have spent the best part of today trawling through the M&S website to see if I can find it.  Can I heck as like?  

However I did unearth a whole load of dress gems that are new in at M&S and full on floral and print is the current story.  Which suits me right down to the ground.  I am having a full on dress revival and think a couple of others to add to my stash (because it's been at least a fortnight since I've bought a dress - to be fair, I have worn both of them twice already which isn't bad at all) would be fair game.

And the beauty of most of these that I did find, is their versatility.  The ultimate dress me up dress me down frocks at truly great prices (the price thing does go a bit off piste towards the bottom of the blog, I'm warning you now....)

Firstly one that I would happily wear on the school run with sandals.  (I would lose the fascinator.  Probably)

Floral Tunic Dress from M&S £39.50



Another shift dress - this time without sleeves.  

Cotton Rich Floral Placement Dress from M&S £39.50




Now this one I think is a lot more Temperley than M&S...

Butterfly Print Maxi Dress from M&S






Whilst we're on the subject of resemblance, I think this bears more than a striking one to the DVF shape and print. 

Geometric Print Shirt Dress from M&S £59 If you look closely the print of this is white, pale pink, black and KHAKI. Whoop de whoop.



Another oversized floral print which is very much more Sportmax or DVF than M&S.  I love the idea of trying this one.  

Easy Care Oversized Rose dress £39.50



Ditto this print - Round Neck Floral Shift Dress from M&S £65



Full on floral full length and a bargain price at Phase Eight.  

Phase Eight Julia Floral Maxi Dress was £89 now £49




Another slightly more subtle number from M&S - I've seen this a number of times in store and it's a great extra to have in your wardrobe.  Perfect for work, the school run, out for dinner or even to a wedding. 

Ditsy spotted shift dress from M&S £55



From subtle to totally in your face but some great reductions at Selfridges, including this rather bright but rather amazing number from Maje. 

Abstract print silk dress from Maje was £369 now £184.50




More bell sleeves at Mango - this is just simply heavenly and perfect if you're shorter as Mango short dresses are notoriously crotch flashing for tallies.

Printed Dress was £40.49 now £20.24




Also adore the red 


Another one I swear I've never seen on the Mango website

Flowy Printed Dress was £31.49 now £15.74



And in the red shade  - sorry, that should be vermillion....


New season now at Mango - but still a great price and perfect for the warmer weather.  So long as you're petite.

Floral Print Flowy Dress from Mango £35.99



However I do have hopes that this one will be slightly longer  (that'll be Bob Hope or no hope of course)

Flowy Shirt Dress from Mango was £26.99 now £13.49




From the mostly very short to my newly beloved midi dresses and obviously I can't possibly do a blog on any form of dress without including a Self Portrait one. 

This one.  I need.  And it sneaks in under the banner of "print dresses" because... because it just does and I need to look at it again and again and again.

Self Portrait Fringed Midi Dress £240 - remember, these do go in the machine and size up a size.



Moving onto more purse friendly options - this one I tried on earlier in the season and did love but wasn't entirely sure it was me.  However it's an amazing dress and the best bit is - machine washable.  Get in there.

Ted Baker Ravina rose dress was £159 now £80




More amazing floral at FCUK and a bargain again at £52 in the sale. 


FCUK Freida Dress was £130 now £52


Sort of midi - well it would be on most people... I wouldn't have thought this length of dress would work but I think it looks great in this pic.  However that could be because she is an 18yr old model... hmmmmm.  However I love the zip detail, the pattern and the colourway.

Textile Federation for ASOS Shirt Dress with zip detail £45




I have also been spending every free minute drooling over the (limited) more wintery clothes that there are out there and this dress from FCUK is top of my wishlist.  

Sundown Jersey Paisley Maxi Dress from FCUK £80



Love the print of this - I think with a plain coat over - simply perfect.  

Paul by Paul Smith Jersey dress £135



And here I am proving that I can't get enough of my dresses at the mo. 

This is from yesterday for the judging.  I stupidly didn't realise (duh) that I'd be on my feet all day.  However these old favourites from LK Bennett were surprisingly comfortable.

Untitled

Porcelain dress - & Other Stories
Tan peep toe shoe boots - LK Bennett
Whiskey Medium Marcie Satchel  Chloe

And last night out at a friend's birthday party.

Untitled


Yellow dress - Whistles
Yellow, tan, black & snakeskin sandals - Zara
Snakeskin clutch - Michael Kors 

Anyone else on a total dress fest at the mo?  Having had my legs out for the past couple of weeks, they're got a bit (a *bit*) of colour to them and so I don't have to rely solely on the fake tan (my bed sheets are thanking me) so I'm on a frock roll.

I hope everyone else has had a good weekend.  I'm trying to work out when I can get to London this week to fling myself down Regent Steet and grab the dregs of the sales.  See?  Total panic.  I'm such a predictable fool.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

11 comentarios:

  1. Love your outfit with the yellow dress, sandals and clutch, wow! Love your blog and your writing. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that blue And Other Stories dress on you. And I really enjoy your blog. Informative and full of humour. I wish you had time to post three times a day! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blush* thank you for such a lovely comment. xxxxx

      Delete
  3. Is this the M&S maxi, Kat? http://m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/floral-maxi-dress/p/p60071226

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! You genius! No wonder I couldn't find it - it's sold out! Such a shame as it's a gorgeous gorgeous dress.

      Delete
  4. Not sure about the oversized jungle prints or flowers..too ageing. Stick to structure rather than statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each to their own although I do disagree. I think it does depend on the shape, how you wear it but so long as the style of the dress is a more simply style and the print floats your boat then hell, I say go for it! Having said that, I am doing a plain dress blog shortly which may be more up your street xxx

      Delete
  5. Yes love dresses at the moment - bought 3 on Thursday! Love your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well done you - 3 is a fab haul! I'm behind!! And thank you xxxx

      Delete
  6. Very fascinating and well-written. I appreciate you providing the details. Do you know Morse code? It was created by Samuel Morse in the 1830s. Visit this article about Communication Using Morse Code to learn more about it. This article will guide you more.

    ReplyDelete