The alternatives

Something that I am asked about constantly.  If you don't want to wear a dress, what can you wear for a special occasion?  

Well I have a couple of different options up my sleeve but today I'm concentrating on one that I'm personally a huge fan of and can vouch for.  And seeing as I've just found another perfect option that I am over the moon with, I wanted to share the love. 

The Jumpsuit.  So I appreciate the jury is still out on these but they honestly are fabulous.  And I think the new versions of them are even easier to wear.  Especially for a special occasion.  Culotte jumpsuits (bear with me, oh ye of little faith).  

I would go so far as to say I think they're even more versatile with regards to dressing up and down.  That to me, is the joy of a piece of clothing.  I hate having something sat in my wardrobe that I never wear.  Well - I do wear but ridiculously infrequently.  And I hate to say it, but I do that with dresses.  Ok so they do serve their purposes for multiple dressier occasions but lots of "smart ones" are virtually impossible to dress down for the day (looking at you, Self Portrait dresses...even though you are my favourite). 

These though - well, it's super easy.  In the Spring with sneakers and in the Summer with sandals.  Change into heels for the evening and you're off. 

They're also super fake tan friendly for those rather slap dash tanners amongst us (that will be me) as there is less flesh on show.  Clearly it's for fake tan reasons and not because my exercise regime has yet to take off in any impressive fashion (or any fashion at all...when the children go back to school, of course...) - therefore the less lumps and bumps that are exposed (yes ugly knees, you get to be hidden), the better.  And lots of these have short or capped sleeves which are so useful for hiding the tops of arms (the one thing I have to say I'm quite pleased with.  The fact I'm so bad with fake tan, it usually looks like I've had a fight with a gravy boat, is therefore a shame).

Starting with my new favourite.  I managed to get mine in the Finery discount Easter weekend but if you use the code Paypal20 you should be able to get 20% off your order.  I do apologise, but I'm not sure if you have to use paypal to pay or not.  (but it's still worth doing for 20% off) 

Milford D ring pinafore jumpsuit £75   The fabric of this is gorgeous.   Light enough to wear during the day but heavy enough to fit into the "smart" category.  And... drum roll... machine washable.  If that wasn't enough can I give you the cherry on the cake?  Pockets.  I rest my case.  




And - to prove how much I love it - a very rushed photo and I even got the sandals out.  No I didn't bother with the fake tan.


Untitled

Similar but with sleeves at Weekday. 

Weekday crop wide leg jumpsuit £65



Full length and fabulous at Me+Em.  And I love the styling here with sneakers.  But would look just as great for an occasion with heels or with flats if you're super tall (although having tried their jumpsuits on in in the past, they can come up long).

Knot Waist Jumpsuit Me+Em £98



Tailored leg now, also at Me+Em. 

2 in 1 Cigarette Jumpsuit £98




Tailored again at Mango and I think this would look amazing - assuming you don't have the posture of Kevin the teenager as every single model on the Mango website seems to have... It says it has a cut out back.  Not as scary as it sounds.  It's not open open - a plain black bra could easily be worn with it and not really be seen.  Or a bandeau bra - depending on the size of your appendages. 

Cut out back jumpsuit from Mango £39.99



More black and I haven't yet broached the subject of Bardot tops but it's in the offing... yet in the meantime, there's always one of these.   A sneak preview of my thoughts, but with some there's a hint of "I was born in the wagon of a travelling show..." (Cher - for those of you who aren't dyed in the wool fans like me) about them.  

This one straddles the line for me - depending on what you team it with (and I'd probably swerve if you have long, dark, curly hair..).

Moon River Off Shoulder Ruffle Jumpsuit £75



Navy now at ASOS - this has to be a complete bargain with pocket detail £45



Now this is possibly too casual as the fabric is jersey.  But that's not to say it couldn't be dressed up with a statement jacket and heels? 

ASOS Minimal Jersey Jumpsuit in navy £40



Slightly more bold in the white.  Ok so this clearly isn't wedding (unless you're the bride) or First Holy Communion (unless you're 8) appropriate, but for other occasions, it would be fabulous. 

White Culotte Jumpsuit from Lavish Alice at Topshop £74




Then of course, there are print versions.  

This I think is great and actually - it being a great stripe, I think you could easily wear this to work in the Summer months. 

ASOS Stripe Jumpsuit in Natural Fabric £50



More stripes and venturing into colour now at River Island.  I think this is gorgeous and really quite unusual, which is always good.  Bra wise - yes slight issues but if you had a bandeau number (I was eyeing up the 14/15yr old fabulous moulded bras from New Look.  Don't judge me.  There has to be some advantage in having fried eggs as boobs).  And it would look fabulous with glad sandals for during the day.

Beige stripe culotte jumpsuit from River Island £48




But the two that are proper show stoppers are from Whistles.  Amazing silk numbers.  I would happily wear these during the day with flast sandals.  They're simply amazing. 

Whistles Lilias Jungle Jumpsuit £230



And the Wild Floral Version £230 also from Whistles 






So I'm sold on these.  I have high hopes - they're the perfect every day throw on for Summer days and are perfect for when you want to get some leg out but not lots of leg.  I urge you all to try them - anyone else a fan?


Finishing with outfit from today.  Well.  We got soaked.  Had meticulously studied the weather for the week as my children were all desperate to do Go Ape.  Today was the only day of no rain. 

Yeah right.  We were gifted rain AND hail.  For the entire hour that we were there.  And for the next half hour afterwards when we were having coffee and cake trying to warm up.... (and had to leave poor poor Ginny outside as dogs weren't allowed into the cafe.  Although outside was under shelter and the two boys and my friend's daughter did sit with her.  We considered joining them for all of about two seconds and retreated to the cafe indoors). 

On the way back to the car - obviously the sun came out. 


Untitled

Stone (although I really would say it's blush) hooded cardigan - Me+Em
Nessa cardigan in pink - hush
Straight leg distressed jeans - Zara
Superstar sneakers - Golden Goose
Haworth bag - Village England

Tomorrow - well, dog walk in the morning and then I'm thinking a duvet day may be on the cards... My boys are desperate for a Harry Potter marathon and we've been full on out and about for six days in a row now and frankly, I'm exhausted.  And need to catch up on the washing.  Oh.  The.  Glamour....  Which I may do wearing my new jumpsuit, just because I can...

Share this:

CONVERSATION

25 comentarios:

  1. Love the finery one. I am tempted but have yet to get a jumpsuit. What is the sizing like? And a bit concern about the very large and low armhole. Will my bra show? I too have the fried eggs and need a bra to have some semblance of shape!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the 10 and am definitely a normal 10 in most places but on the larger end of the 10 scale... Now.. I don't have a bra on and the arm hole is *quite* low so would see it a bit I think unless you have one of those clever ones. If you wore a black one though it would be fine!

      Delete
  2. You're back with the blue jeans! (Love them on you.) And how perfect is that Me+Em cashmere hoodie? My black one arrived and is gorgeous, as is the black/cream layering top.

    Ironically I just returned the Finery London mid-sleeve Lansdowne jumpsuit, loved the styling but the fabric was a bit off for me. (I have the Weekday one but it's too "polyester-ish so I find I never wear it.) I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Hush one when I had a chance. How is the fabric on the Hush one? More cottony (cotton-rich)??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hush one is a flowier softer more brushed fabric? Would be worth looking at the short sleeved ones?

      Delete
  3. oh my goodness, the whistles jungle jumpsuit is STUNNING. Not sure I would have named it 'jungle'though. (Connotations matter Whistles people)....sounds like something one should wear zip lining. Gorgeous though.
    Oh kat, I'm sorry about the weather. My niece has a habit of conjuring unseasonably bad weather any time she books a mini break. We no longer go away together....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting isn't it.. Tropical may have been better?! Yes the weather does look diabolical for the rest of the hols Booooooo

      Delete
  4. Love a jumpsuit. I have a whistles one very similar to yours - double the chuffing price!! Love it though and will definitely be dressing down with GG. Whistles have a fab one in their look book in khaki due in May.
    Love your cashmere cardi. Was eyeing them up today and thought the stone looked more blush. Was going to order but then realised, alas, that the discount code ended yesterday! The sizing at Me & Em is crazy. I ordered the 2 in 1 cigarette jumpsuit but it came up at least 2 sizes larger! Enjoy your lazy day. I would kill for a duvet day - got a horrendous day at work in the offing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!! I'm sure there'll be a new one shortly. It really is a great Spring/Summer addition.

      The Finery one is easily as good as Whistles quality - for future reference..!

      Delete
  5. Love the navy options, as well as the white one, not so sure about the patterned ones. I'm not so tall so would have to go for one in petite sizing.
    I have a daytime birthday do this weekend, and have been thinking of cheating a jumpsuit, with navy trousers and top (from the same company, so same shade of navy), and my navy/ red jacket from Boden (same pattern as the red dress you featured last week). I may even go in heels, but will definitely be using my red suede clutch from Part two, I was lucky enough to get 25% off!
    Danish Pastry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jumpsuits are perfect for my end of the world - 30+ celsius for the next 3 days in brisbane and was the hottest autumn sydney day since records kept (34 celsius) sweet baby cheeses, that's hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I do get to wear jumpsuits to work, so that's a plus. I do get jealous of all the lovely layering I see on your blog though. I've just bought a new blazer and a pair of brogues, in the hope that my financial commitment has the power to alter the weather.. 'cos that's feasible right?

      Delete
    2. I am in awe of your positive thinking. Got to be worth a shot?

      Delete
  7. Hi Kat I am new to your blog since Christmas & can I just say a MASSIVE Thankyou for introducing me to hush,trainers & jumpsuits, i have just got the jumpsuit from hush wore to a party with heels & a smart all saints tuxedo style jacket & that is all down to you & your styling I bought all those items along with the hush leather jacket, jordy trainer & harem pants & I have never been a trainer girl but my pair of Nike airforce 1's are on their way in navy as I type, quick question I am short at only 5ft 4" not sure about the culotte jumpsuit would you recommend for a shorter size 12 just turned 56 going on 30 girl ☺️☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well firstly a huge thank you for such lovely lovely comments! If you're more petite, you may be better with a dress to be honest, I think the dimensions of the culotte jumpsuits might not be quite right. having said that, if you can find one in petite - so long as it's not too long, there's no reason at all why you couldn't wear one!

      Delete
  8. I'm a big fan of jumpsuits, I'm 5ft so I need to hem every single pair but I love how you can just throw them on and not worry about shaving legs or anything. I went to a theme park in one once and it was great. I don't have a little black dress but I do have a bootleg sparkly jumpsuit for going out in and for someone who loves dresses, I have to say a black dress is so boring and a black jumpsuit is fabulous, especially if it's sparkly. Long live the jumpsuit!

    https://matchamilady.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely lovely comments thank you! So great to meet another fan xxx

      Delete
  9. I agree, jumpsuits are a great alternative to dresses. The trouble with dresses in the UK is the majority of the time you have to wear something over the top as the weather is too cold and it destroys the whole look. At least with a jumpsuit you can throw a tux jacket over the top and it will look great. Good timing too as I need to find something for a graduation in July and you can't be sure of the English weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there in lies the issue - I also think they look fabulous with a loose flowy trench as well.. i have a couple of ideas for these up my sleeve!

      Delete
    2. A trench over a pantsuit. Very Katherine Hepburn. Sooooo stylish.

      Delete
    3. A trench over a pantsuit. Very Katherine Hepburn. Sooooo stylish.

      Delete
    4. There are some GREAT summer versions around. Not remotely practical but very stylish

      Delete
  10. Love the Me & Em ones - and yes have that dress dilemma all the time - especially as dresses are quite short so veering heavily on the mutton. Just to say, reminded by OOTD pic, I bought that Hush cardigan in this year's blue colourway - despite living in a place which doesn't drop below 18 C. It's been so super useful especially on a couple of trips to cooler climes and will be perfect for the British summer time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so short these days aren't they? Or you have to buy them from Jaeger or Hobbs and look like your gran....

      Delete